GreenA Consultants is the submission and Technical Partner for this project.
The Million Cool Roofs Challenge is a project of the Kigali Cooling Efficiency Program (K-CEP) in collaboration with the Global Cool Cities Alliance, Sustainable Energy for All, and Nesta’s Challenge Prize Centre and supported by the World Resources Institute. The goal of the project is to make cool roofs and sustainable cooling accessible and scalable, especially for the most vulnerable communities.
The project prioritizes schools, healthcare facilities, businesses, as well as government buildings in urban Kigali.
- Demo project for one school and hospital
- Getting the commitment from Rwanda’s Ministry of Environment to support the scaling of the project
- Previously, there were no available cool paint products in Rwanda, and these paints had to be imported at high prices, either from South Africa or North America. Working with a local manufacturer in Rwanda, we have managed to produce cool paint that meets SRI of 0.71 and TE of 0.75.
- We have devised a “Learn and Earn” Programme with training provided and aim to achieve at least 50% women participation.
- Education and Awareness programmes as well as resource guides
- Other efforts to make cool roofs accessible and scalable; on-going efforts to coat as many roofs as possible and having a spillover influence effect on the rest of the Eastern African countries.